Sunday, July 27, 2008

Swap Details

The Swap:
(I think I need to put a SU trademark or logo on here though - going to research now)

I'm pretty excited about this swap - I worked really hard on getting the design right and putting a lot of effort into making a good convention swap quality. I hope the recipients are not disappointed. If you are here visiting my page as a result of receiving my card as a swap, please drop me a comment and let me know how you liked it (but please be gentle with my feelings)!

Idea:
The first challenge was finding a stamp set that wasn't retired in my collection that I could work with. I debated between Priceless and this set. Eventually this set won out with the design idea.

Inspirations:

So the inspiration for this swap came from two different sources. It was originally supposed to be a a traditional size card for 4.25 x 5.5 based on a card I had received from my SCS Demo Secret Sis in one of the rounds. Michelle is just awesome and I love her work!!!! Try as I could, I could not get this card to really work with the bigger layout as it left a lot of space that I was trying to fill with things such as the little star in versamark or in more blue. Neither really turned out too well so I did some research on SCS and read up on square card sizes which is what I ended up with. The 3-D effect of the boat came from the SCS gallery for this stamp set.

Supplies:
  • Stamp Set:
    • Nursery Necessities
  • Cardstock:
    • Bashful Blue (4.25 x 4.25)
    • Certainly Celery (4.25 x 1.25)
    • Chocolate Chip (3.25 x 3.25)
    • Whisper White (3 x 3)
    • Brilliant Blue - Textured (3 x 1.25)
    • Whisper White or So Saffron for the moon cutout.
  • Inks:
    • Real Red
    • Brilliant Blue
    • Certainly Celery
    • Chocolate Chip
    • So Saffron
  • Ribbons:
    • 1/4" Grosgrain: Whisper White
    • 1/4" Grosgrain: Bashful Blue
  • Miscellaneous:
    • Word Window Punch
    • Snail Adhesive
    • White Pen
    • Paper Snips
    • Stampin' Dimensionals
    • Green Bead Duo (only on some cards)
Variations:
This card was pretty easy to use for covering up mistakes. For instance, some of the cards have the small beads from the green bead duo on the bottom piece of the boat as the white pen didn't provide consistent coverage. I also used So Saffron on either Whisper White or So Saffron for the sun. I ran out of textured Brilliant Blue CS for the last few so some of them may be just pain Brilliant Blue.

Tips, Tricks, and Lessons Learned:
  • Dimensionals were easier to use when they were cut up in half and the edges also were not wasted.
    • Better trick is to actually cut up a whole strip of the dimensionals in half before even unpeeling the first layer.
  • Make a guide for the word window punch on a bigger sheet of cardstock and just secure the smaller wave ones onto it and punch.
  • Mark the bottom of the punch with a small piece of tape/cs so the waves can be punched at consistent places easier.
  • It took a LONG time to cut and assemble all of the pieces, way more then I was thinking it would.
  • So I don't usually use my textured CS (I'm more of a hoarder of supplies then a user), so I didn't realize until I was half way through that there is a front and a back of the textured CS. So some of the Brilliant Blue may be using the wrong side - sorry!
Last thoughts:
I did show my husband my card and he wondered A) why I was spending all this time on these swaps instead of doing my graduate homework. B) Why I used a moon when it looked like it was day light out. This second piece has really made me question the design. I had to explain to him that I didn't have any Sun stamps that weren't retired. He said you didn't have any circles? Anyway, it was difficult to explain. I debated using the star stamp and star punch which would've been a lot easier then cutting up those moons, but I liked the moon better.

Thanks to Marilyn for being such a good friend to take my swaps for me!!!!

No comments: